Sunday, December 16, 2012

Blind Dates

I finished reading 'Have I Got a Guy for You: what really happens when Mom fixes you up' Edited by Alix Strauss. I did not know what to expect upon reading this book. My friend Jean gave it to me.  Jean is one of my dearest friends. She is my Mom's age.  She gave it to me for my birthday. My first thought was, "Oh God, not another book on dating.  Haven't I read enough books, gone to enough workshops.....argggh".  Now mind you, I had stopped seeing someone the month before, which left me wondering about a lot of things and questioning myself. I did come out of that on top, remembering who I am.  I wanted to be mad at myself for caring about someone who hardly cared about himself, until another dear friend reminded me that my level of care is one of the beautiful things about me.  I dropped my hammer and forgave myself, as well as acknowledged how beautiful it is to care for someone.  How sad that he was not able to receive.  All of that to say when Jean gave me this book, I was done, like, I don't have time to read this mess.  Ha!  A month later, I arduously picked up the book and dove in.... and much like many highschool "mandatory" readings, I found myself enjoying the book.  It is compiled of twenty-five (25) short stories.  I would read one here and there to start. Nearly 1/4 of the way in, I was reading two (2) stories at a time.  I laughed reading how these Mother's wanted their daughters (successful women who were dating, just not fast enough or to their mother's taste) to be married, and so they set them up.  My Mother has not ever set me up (THANK GOD), however, I have been on blind dates (although those occurred in the church I was a part of) and I have been on less than happy dates since I started (seriously) dating two (2) years ago.  One guy I met appeared reasonable, although the blow pop raised a concern, especially because he was 44 years old.  I gave him a shot only to find my concern valid.... he had an addictive personality.  Note to any men reading this, a woman more than likely wants to know that you want her, yet its important to be tasteful in how you express that.  He told me straight that if I were going to have sex with a man, it should be him.  If I could have dropped my jaw to the floor, I would have. I sighed with relief reading stories of these women who experienced similar things as I have. Some were a bit more outrageous, and all of them were great.  I admire the women who shared their stories and love their Mothers for loving their babies.
How do you feel about blind dates or being set-up by well-meaning relatives or friends?  If you have been on one or have a story to share, I would love to hear it.

much love & aloha
hp



http://www.alixstrauss.com/guy/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment